Search Motel Lounge

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All By Myself - Stu Self

My Way
Bridge Over Trouble Water
All By Myself
Stu Self
Cyberteknics Studio, Dayton, Ohio
552N9

Apparently Stu gigged at the lounge of the Quality Inn, Covington, KY. The building still exists, but is now owned by Radisson. The building is a terrific piece of space age architecture. A rotating restaurant can be found on the top floor. Self would have likely played in a lounge that was located in the extension off the tower, which can be seen lower right. The building was topped, when owned by Quality, by a fantastic space age "Sputnik" sign. The period look of the building was trashed when Radisson replaced the sign. I always wanted to bitch about that sign and now, thanks to Stu Self who played down the street from my home, I've had the chance to do so.

2 comments:

  1. That is quite a building...I've been to that rotating top many times for dinner. I never had a complaint or anything - good food, the almost imperceptible turning, etc. Is that restaurant still up there? I would love to have dinner there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the restaurant is still operating.

      Delete