Search Motel Lounge

Friday, March 25, 2011

They Say - Bill Walters Sings!

The Wine Of Satan
They Say
Bill Walters Sings!
Fountain Records F200

Local private press out of Cincinnait, Ohio. This is the first time that I've found a record on the "Fountain" label. The logo looks like Cincinnati's Fountain Square (the fountain). Fountain Square is a landmark located in the middle of the city.

When I searched Bill Walters online I found him... on my own blog. Check out this post of a Christmas album he made. Walters was a local artist who worked for Ruth Lyons. In that post I pointed out a disconnect between the peppy music and the downer cover art. On this album there is another disconnect. I almost didn't buy this album because it looked like a comedy recording. I understand the idea was to illustrate the song title, "They Say", but was this snap shot of a woman holding an "antique" phone sort of caught looking oddly into the camera the best solution?

Walters has a top notch lounge voice that is smooth and smoky. What makes this album interesting for me is that it is local press and that he met George Shearing while he was playing in town. He impressed Shearing to the point that Shearing recommend he make a record (this one, his first). Shearing also wrote the jacket notes from which I gathered this information.

1 comment:

  1. My mother has been in a retirement home in Middletown for the last few years. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr Walters when she moved here and my family now view him as one of our own family members. I just had dinner him tonight and we listened to his music for 2 hours. Not only was he a fine musician but also one of the nicest people I know! I could sit for hours, and often do, listening to his stories about his past on the Ruth Lions Show also his travels as a musician. I am happy to say that he is doing very well!

    ReplyDelete