Search Motel Lounge

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All By Myself - Stu Self

My Way
Bridge Over Trouble Water
All By Myself
Stu Self
Starrett Records
Cyberteknics Studio - Dayton, Ohio
Queen City Album - Cincinnati, Ohio
552N9

According to the jacket notes, Stu gigged at the lounge of the Quality Inn, Covington, KY., a building still exists, but is now owned by Radisson. The building is a terrific piece of space age architecture. A rotating restaurant can be found on the top floor. Self would have likely played his set in a ground floor lounge that was located in a section of the building just off the tower, to the right, as seen in the postcard image above.

Proud Mary
And I Love You So
Mandy
Gimme Some Lovin'
Without You
Bridge Over Trouble Water
One Tin Shoulder
Until It's Time For You To Go
Some Kind Of Wonderful
My Way

10 comments:

  1. That is quite a building...I've been to that rotating top many times for dinner. I never had a complaint or anything - good food, the almost imperceptible turning, etc. Is that restaurant still up there? I would love to have dinner there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the restaurant is still operating.

      Delete
  2. Just stumbled on this "Stu Self" feature.
    Stu was a regular at Jacks-R-Better in Cold Spring, Ky., back in the mid-seventies and into the eighties. He was extremely popular with the regulars. Jack Ripberger, the proprietor, died suddenly and the place was sold, later becoming Jacks-R-Better.
    I suspect it was then that Stu got the gig at the Quality Riverview.
    I would love to locate him.
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been a friend of Stu’s for over 50 years. His ex wife, my best friend, watch’s over him and keeps me updated. He is currently in the West Chester Hospital 7700 University Dr, West Chester, Ohio 45069
      Room 225. He can’t have visitors not even his daughter and he does not answer his phone. I think his spirits would be lifted if he received cards and letters from those who have fond memories of him. Thank you so much.. Sylvia

      Delete
    2. Sylvia, Thank you so much for reaching out. My name is Dave Schabell, who was the regulr at Jacs-R-Better. Actually, referencing the post above, following Jack Ripbergers death the saloon became known as the Barrelhead Saloon. I will indeed send Stu a card with a note. Thanks again!!!

      Delete
    3. Stu has been moved to Hospice

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing Stu at the Quality. Is he still around?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stu has been moved to Hospice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stu Self passed away in hospice care on 11/13/2021, around 1 p.m. in the afternoon. He requested to not be fed any longer. I will remember him for his smile, friendship, and for sharing his music with his friends

    ReplyDelete